Monday 28 November 2016

Valencia - out with the joggers

 

Leaving the ship as soon as the gangways became operational meant I was able to enjoy the esplanade and beach along with the early morning cats, joggers & walkers.



It was even too early for the sand artists to have taken to their chairs with empty cups by their side to collect the proffered coins - so I was able to snap this masterpiece for free.


The sand sweeper was about to come on duty.  Not sure that I fancy his job - a lifetime would not be enough to cover this huge area of sand!


Water fountains in Valencia come topped with entwined fish and funny faces:


Loos? Well they are a'plenty on the beach but would you believe that all were locked and barred.  Apparently they are only open during the height of "the season" - at other times of the year it is a matter of keeping ones legs crossed.


The sea invited me in for a paaddle but I declined as I was wearing long trousers, socks and sandals.  However, at one point, as I was taking a selfie, the tide made a mighty surge and I was drenched from knees down. One must never decline an offer from the ocean!



Nothing for it but to remove said socks and sandals and roll the trousers up.  How lovely to feel the sand between my toes and the sea around my ankles.


 No, this is not me YET - but could be in a couple of years!

Some of my favourite sights in Valencia are the old rundown warehouses along the harbour - Tinglado Nos 1-5

The beautiful mosaics are now gradually crumbling away and large areas are netted off for fear of falling tiles hitting an unsuspecting pedestrian.


Here at Tinglado no.5 the H&S men had not yet appeared and I was able to help myself to a couple of large pieces which had recently fallen to the ground.  For once a free souvenir.



These warehouses were once home to the F1 pit lanes - and where I was walking would once have seen racing cars speeding in for their tyre change and to take on fuel.  Close your eyes and you can still hear the revving of engines and the smell of fuel.



No comments:

Post a Comment