Monday 28 November 2016

Cadiz - and the Torre Tavira

 

An early morning amble around the peninsular which forms the outskirts of the city was called for today.  An easy walk on the flat with the sea on one side and castellated buildings on the other.  What a delightful way to start one's day.

The harbour wall is dotted with ornate lamps and ancient turrets which make picturesque subjects




 As well as making handy perches for the local bird life 


In a pretty park I met my man of the moment who invited me to dance


Thank you kind sir, but today perhaps a picture will suffice


The wind it is a whipping up the water


and gusting through the palm trees


I had hoped to walk out over the causeway to San Sebastian Castle but, alas, it was just too dangerous to wander across the narrow causeway on my own in those winds.  I contended myself with taking some snaps from the safety of the esplanade.


Readers of my blog will know by now that I am constantly on the lookout for public toilets.  According to the map there were facilities at various points around this esplanade walk - quite unusual for Spain.  I had obviously passed the first toilet block without realising it - probably far too involved in taking photographs.  But there should be another round about here, opposite the causeway.  The map also showed a big T in the same area - whether this was the sign for a taxi rank or telephone booth I had no idea.  Then over the road I noticed a delightful ornamental structure with a Samsung advert on the side.


Without giving it very much thought I immediately labelled this structure as a Spanish telephone booth.  Don't laugh, I was coming down with a very nasty cold and not thinking too straight at the time.  Anyway, no sign at all of a public toilet block here.  So, onto the next location which was shown as being near to the Cathedral.  Well here was the Cathedral.


And what a coincidence.  Here was yet another of those fancy Spanish telephone booths.


OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  At last the penny dropped (except I doubt that this cubicle would have accepted a penny).  These strange structures were actually the loos I was looking for.  OK, so I can be extremely dumb at times!  I would have loved to have tried one out but I could see the word Automatique next to some really antique looking switches.  There was no way I could risk becoming trapped inside some Spanish pissoir so had to pass up the chance.

Next stop was the Torre Tavira. 


Entrance fee for over 65s is 5 euros and I arrived a few minutes ahead of the 1030hrs camera obscura show.  Great - a few minutes in which to use their basement toilet facilities.

 

Then, having climbed the 172 steps I arrived for the show.  There in the blackened room 8 of us gathered around the concave "stage".  The camera was opened to the light and images of Cadiz flooded in.  The operator manoeuvred the stage up and down to focus the image and described the buildings of importance.  Via a system of pulleys she was able to move the camera around from North to East to South to West and so the image changed before our eyes.  The show ended with images of the Market Square and here the operator "played" with pedestrians.  Beware anyone who walks within the square when the Camera Obscura show is about to end - you too could be played with for the amusement of others!

The camera - up on the roof

The remaining climb takes visitors up to the roof of the tower where the white walls, red rooftops and cream turrets of  Cadiz are displayed in all their magnificence.




On the way back to the ship I was reminded of the symmetry which comes with structures in Cadiz:
 


Passing through the market square I noticed a couple from the ship resting on the side of the fountain.  Might the Camera Obscura show be on I wonder!


And - as a final parting shot - yet another pissoir!







No comments:

Post a Comment