Monday 14 November 2016

Late Trains meant Early Arrival

As ever I had been meticulate in planning the journey down to Southampton for my Birthday Cruise - rail travel, especially in the winter months, can be beset with problems.  It was a bright, crisp, clear day so no problems with flooding on the line.  I arrived at Weston-super-Mare station with every intention of catching the 8.07 to Bristol Temple Meads leaving ample time for the 9.22 connection to Southampton.   Needless to say on arrival at the station the departures screen showed that train after train from the West to BTM were running late.  Not to worry because that meant I was able to catch the very plush Exeter to Paddington train instead of the worn and worried Taunton to Cardiff service.  The train manager apologised for the late running of the service announcing this was caused by "slippery lines due to fallen leaves"!!!!! Never mind because I was whisked into BTM in no time at all.  Glancing at my watch I noticed that the 8.22 to Southampton would have just left - but hold on - the departure board showed that service was also running late!  With just a few minutes to change platforms I made a mad dash for it and arrived on the platform just as the train pulled in.  Announcements stated that the train would divide so to please make certain one was in the correct portion of the train.  Southampton passengers needed to be in the front section.  Great, except at BTM trains often come into a platform in one direction and then leave in the same direction - just depends on where they have arrived from and which platform they are on.  No indication was given as to which was the front of the train and none of the passengers seemed to know.  Chaos ensued with people scampering back and forth the length of the platform.  Eventually it was left to the railway engineers who were uncoupling carriages to sort us out and point us in the right direction.  At last I was on board with suitcases deposited in the tiny luggage rack.  Needless to say there was no vacant seat near the luggage so I ended up at the other end of the carriage and had to hope that it would remain safe.  BUT I was aboard and heading to Southampton a whole 45 minutes earlier than originally planned.

The journey was without incident and I enjoyed watching the autumn countryside as it sped by.  A trolley service passed through and I ordered a cup of tea.  Endless questions ensued: how many milks?  Well that really depended on the size of the cup and the size of the milk sachets!  Being shown the receptacle I estimated that three sachets of milk would be about right.  How many sugars/sweeteners?  I estimated either two tiny packets of brown sugar or one sweetener would do it.  I was right on both counts and settled back for my morning cuppa.

The train pulled into Southampton Central at 10.25.  Now came the job of getting my two pieces of hand luggage from train onto platform.  Both were a weight I could easily manage as single pieces but negotiating two pieces through a narrow train door onto the platform in one go was out of the question.  The train was packed with passengers waiting to alight - the platform was crowded with passengers waiting to board.  I alighted first with one piece of baggage; left it amongst the crowds and turned to retrieve the second piece from the doorway.  But I could go nowhere because of the queue of alighting passengers - not one of whom offered to lift the case down for me.  Of course, as soon as the doorway became free the passengers on the platform were eager to board so that they could get a seat.  They were none too impressed with having to wait a few seconds for me to get my case - and were even less impressed that my first suitcase on the platform was hindering their progress.  Oh the joys of being a single passenger!

Knowing that it was far to early to head for the Mayflower Terminal I rested for an hour in the passenger lounge at the station.  Then at 11.30 jumped into a taxi and headed off for Dock Gate 10.  There was still 30 minutes to wait till boarding began but early arrivals were directed to a seating area to rest.  A gentleman came round handing out Health Questionnaires which are a requirement before boarding:  Do you have a cough?  Have you felt nauseous in the past 2 days? etc. etc.   As he passed along the row every couple was given forms.  Needless to say he passed right by me - why?  Because I am not part of "a couple" and therefore invisible to all.  I had to ask for a form which was given very grudgingly.  Anyway the boxes for no coughs and no nausea were ticked.  I looked up and noticed the cordon to the Booking In area had been lifted.  Having received my Priority embarkation card I was pointed to the Fast Lane - Loyalty Points are occasionally of use!  And so, once again, I boarded Arcadia - my favourite P&O ship - it was like coming home.

I ignored the invitation to attend the embarkation reception in the formal Meridian Restaurant.  Why opt for light canapes when the buffet restaurant (The Belvedere) offers every type of food one could wish for.  A full scale lunch was had and really appreciated after the morning's endeavours.  Then it was down to the cabin to unpack laptop, cameras and other "hand luggage" paraphenalia.



The main suitcase had been consigned via The Baggage Handling Company and had been collected from home a few days earlier.  No doubt it would appear outside my cabin at some point.  Or would it?  The minutes ticked by.  The hours ticked by.  Still no sign of the large suitcase which contained evening dresses and casual clothes for hotter climes.  At 3.30pm I admit to suffering a mild panic and took the opportunity of telephoning The Baggage Handling Company to enquire about my case.  No worries.  I was assured that Craig had delivered all suitcases to Arcadia "a little while before".  The case did turn up outside my cabin door sometime after 4pm whilst I was attending the Safety Drill. Calm then descended and the cruise could really start.

A complimentary glass of bubbly (again courtesy of the Loyalty Club) got the Sailaway off to a good start.  It was freezing cold out on the high decks but the moon shone brightly from an almost cloudless, sky. 


I was reminded of a similar evening back in January 2009 when I stood in the exact same spot on the threshold of embarking on my first cruise - and not any old cruise, but a World Cruise.  The thrill and excitement was exactly the same all these years later but this time I was able to take more in.  The Solent was dotted with a myriad of small craft pulling gently against their moorings.  Seagulls swooped from the sky hoping to catch a morsel from the dark waters. 


Then the peace and tranquility of the moment was torn asunder by the arrival of a group of cackling women.  I departed to my cabin to dress for dinner.

I had requested to be seated at a table for 8 on the first sitting at 6.30pm.  Readers of my blog will know that in all honesty I far prefer to eat in the buffet rather than in the formal dining room, but on this cruise I have decided to give formal dining another shot - at least on formal nights.  Dress code for the first night is always Smart Casual as many passengers will not have had time to unpack - but I had to attend in order to meet the people who would be my table companions for the next few nights.

Early as always, I was the first to arrive at the allotted table - No. 121.  Next came John & Lorraine, a middle aged couple from the Midlands.  Experienced cruisers in every way but this was to be their first encounter with the P&O line.  Then came Brian & Jean, slightly older and on their very first cruise - a sampler to see if they could take to being on a ship.  Last to arrive were Alastair and Jennie, slightly older again (making them nearer to me in age!) - experienced P&O cruisers.  Yes, I did say last to arrive so if you count up that makes a table of 7.  Lorraine was surprised to hear that I travelled on my own and said (with a glint in her eye) that perhaps a gentleman would take the remaining seat.  Knowing the ways of P&O restaurant managers better than her I was able to say that without a shadow of doubt the remaining seat would remain empty.  I was right.  An elderly lady travelling on her own seems to be a nightmare challenge for the managers.  What to do with such a person!

After dinner came a show, with The Headliners Theatre Co treating the audience to a non-stop extravaganza of dance from around the world.  After that I was ready to collapse into bed with the swell of the English Channel rocking me as if in a cradle.  Sleep came fast and deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment