Monday 14 November 2016

Canals & Bicycles - 'tis Amsterdam

Lying on the banks of Ijsselmeer Bay this city of canals has lured visitors for centuries.  My last visit was four years ago so I had a rough idea of where to head for - and perhaps more importantly, where to avoid.  Quite why my feet took me straight into the Red Light District back in 2012 is anyone's guess!  This time I headed straight up Warmoestraat, the main thoroughfare from Central Station up to Dam Square.  But it was freezing cold with a biting wind - so it was not surprising to find that after a 15 minute walk from the ship the first thing I needed was a loo!  Opposite the Sex Museum (yes, that is correct) can be found the mooring area for canal boats offering one hour trips around the city's waterways. 
The next departure was 15 minutes hence and the boat was slowly filling up.  I bought a ticket for 10 Euro, boarded down a narrow flight of steps and having found a seat marked it with my jacket and headed for the small loo at the back of the boat.  An expensive loo trip?  Not when you consider that I got a one hour sightseeing trip thrown in as well!

Sights included Crazy Jack - the clock tower where the clock could not keep correct time! 


Father and son merchant houses

A small replica of The Jumbo Floating Restaurant (the larger original of which can be found in Aberdeen Harbour, Hong Kong)

The seven bridges - disappearing into the distance


The hour sped by and all too soon we were back at Warmoestraat.  This time I headed up to Dam Square.  Had a quick look in Dam Souvenirs - mainly to see the upside down cows which decorate the ceiling.  Yes honestly!  Then into the Amsterdam equivalent of Selfridges.  Happy to report that my only purchase was two Christmas cards.

Then it was back to the ship for lunch before heading out in the afternoon for the area around the Singel Canal.  As it happens this is nowhere near the Red Light District but would you believe as I was looking up at the old buildings admiring the architecture my eyes were drawn to a window where a lady with a very large bosom was displaying her wares!  I have to say that I prefer the sight of the hundreds of bicycles which adorn the side of every road - especially at this time of year when the crinkled leaves are falling, painting the ground with their golden hues.






No comments:

Post a Comment