Monday 28 November 2016

Gibraltar - Pillar Boxes and Blue Lamps


I was most disappointed when I realised that Arcadia would only be spending 4-5 hours in Gibraltar.  It had been my intention to take a guided tour in the morning to the top of The Rock and then spend the afternoon doing my own thing.  So, with less time at my disposal the tour to the top of The Rock had to be abandoned.  Perhaps on my next trip!

It was a 20 minute walk from the ship into Casement Square - the hub of the city.  Perhaps I could make the climb up to the old Moorish Castle.  I had a map and could just about make out the very winding route.  



My goodness, did I find some out of the way places on this walk - and thank goodness it had not been raining.



Big mistake following the map because this took me round the incline where I ended up in what was called The Castle Estate - a housing estate of dubious character. 




Once there I found all the steps going further up were cordoned off or barred for safety reasons.  Nothing for it but to retrace my steps back down the hill and try an alternative route.  The only good thing to come out of trying this first route was my discovery of a very old Victorian Police Station complete with blue lamp.  


This was labelled as a District Office and looked as if it had not been used in years!




Back on track on the second route I climbed




and climbed



and climbed


 
On several occasions I was struggling for breath and had to stop for breaks.  I climbed some more until I reached Willis Road.  But then the road seemed to climb on forever with still no sign of the Moorish Castle.  I was not at all certain that my poor clogged arteries would take any more so I came to my senses, admitted defeat, turned around and made the descent.
 


By the time I returned to Main Street my legs felt like jelly


A cup of tea and croissant were had in The Clipper in Irish town before venturing into the narrow alleys once again.  It was lovely to see the red British telephone boxes in the street  yes, still in use with actual telephones inside.  Not something one gets to see in the UK these days.




Also red Royal Mail pillar boxes.  I managed to collect pictures of the whole set:



Victoria Regina


George Regina


(Complete with commemoration plaque to the birth of Prince George)


and Elizabeth Regina

Then I fell across the old Police HQ built in 1864

 

Several years ago, whilst working in the Archives at New Scotland Yard, I was in correspondence with a Gibraltan Police Inspector who was researching the history of his police force.  The name Samuel Garlick springs to mind as one of the early volunteers to go out from the Metropolitan Police.  The inspector was coming up for retirement and it was his intention to open up a Gibraltar Police Museum - unfortunately, it appears that this never transpired.  What a shame.

So sad to see that the building is no longer in use and is being left to decay.  How I would have loved to have had a peek inside.

At the end of Main Street I found the tiny Trafalgar Cemetery.  



Meticulously cared for with funding from The Cunard Steamship co.  An absolute pleasure to walk around.


Then it was back to Arcadia for our 2pm (very windy) sailaway.  The winds on the high decks were furious.  

 

One ancient lady "parked" her three wheeler walker whilst her husband took a photo.  The winds whipped up and sent it areering off down the deck with old lady, hands in air, in hot pursuit.  I was left to wonder did she really need the three wheeler walker?!  On her return huby asked her to take some photos of himself by the railings with Gib in the background.  She tried and tried but hubby was not at all impressed with her efforts.  I offered to take a photo of both of them and was handed their camera.  Trying my best to steady myself against the wind I took two photos.  Apparently neither of these were up to standard for "hubby".  My third attempt was just about acceptable!  It transpired that the gentleman had been stationed in Gib back in 1948 having been in the RAF.  The "ancients" on P&O cruise ships are always the most interesting of people.


The afternoon was spent relaxing on the balcony and I was awarded with the awesome sight of Aurora passing in the opposite direction on her way home to Southampton.



As the two P&O ships passed in the Med they talked to each other with horns a'blasting for all to hear.  What a glorious cacophany of sound. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment