Sunday 29 April 2018

The French Riviera - Toulon and La Seyne Sur Mer



No shuttle bus here but a shuttle boat instead!


I had no great expectations for Toulon but I was pleasantly surprised.  It is home to the French navy so the port area was full of large ships, but the harbour was abuzz with sailing yachts their masts all lined up with military precision as if on parade.  


As usual I headed off up the back streets, the tall pastel coloured buildings towering above making the alleyways appear even narrower than they actually were.  


Every now and then the streets open up into a square and every square in Toulon sports an ornate water fountain - just right for taking the weight off ones feet.

And don't forget to look up because there, tucked away high up on walls, can be found tiny religious statues.

Quite by chance I fell across the morning market.  Oh boy, the scent of Herbs de Provence and the smell of fresh fruit, salad and vegetables.  Again I despair at the UK.  How healthily one could eat if you lived here.  As the fruit and veg stalls petered out so the clothes stalls took over.  The very last stall (or the first depending on direction) was stacked with "Made in Italy" fashion - exactly the styles and lables that I used to be able to get in Weston until the tiny boutique closed its doors due to rising rents.  The stall was run by a gentleman of perhaps Turkish or Egyptian descent.  He indicated that all winter type clothes could be had at a discount due to the fact that summer was fast approaching.  He spoke little English and I spoke no French but he pointed at the sun and then at the rack of woolly clothes and we understook each other perfectly - working in Hong Kong and using sign language in the street markets certainly helped!  But it was the summer clothes that caught my attention - light as a feather, delicately coloured and fashioned to disguise bulging midrifts.  Perfect.  I purchased a top and a dress and was told that I was "Tres Joli" - I hope that meant "very happy" because I certainly was.

After lunch I headed out again, but this time for a walk to the local town of La Seyne Sur Mer.  A leisurely 15 minute stroll along a well marked route to "Centrale Town".  It was now siesta time so the back streets slumbered, the little shops were closed and a piano sat quietly remembering the days when it was the centre of attention.  Just right for snapping photos here, there and everywhere.  





At one point, whilst standing in the middle of a narrow street, I was aware of a car coming to a halt behind me.  I was about to jump out of its way but the driver smiled and waited patiently whilst I snapped my shot - he seemed delighted that a tourist should want to take a photo of his street.  Most cruise line passengers never give a thought to walking around the local area.  I thanked him - Merci, Merci and he smiled broadly.  



Now it was time for my own siesta back aboard Oriana.  The latest adaptation of "Murder on the Orient Express" lulled me to sleep in the cabin.  No reflection on the production as the characterisation and acting was first rate - I was just shattered.  I revived just enough to enjoy the evening cabaret - Rebecca Miles and her electric harp.


No comments:

Post a Comment