Tuesday 19 April 2016

Colours of Cape Verde

 

Winds gusted to 30 knots as we approached Cape Verde in The Windward Isles.  Would the port be closed?  We hoped not!  The dramatic peaks of volcanic islands loomed in the distance as we approached at dawn.  The sun rose from behind these peaks as I tried to keep my balance out on the high decks of Aurora.


A stop at these isles was a necessity for the sailing ships of old as they needed to stock up on meat and fresh produce for the next leg of their long voyages. 

 

It is said that the only resource available to the islanders was the goats who roamed freely on the mountainous slopes.  So salted goat meat became the sought after commodity for the ships. 

These days it is apparent that there is another resource which can be harnassed by the islanders - the wind:

The deep harbour with its wide approach WAS open and we berthed at 8am.  Looking down from The Prom Deck it was fascinating to see the port graffitti which consisted of the names of ships which had berthed here.  Many of the entries were accompanied by paintings of the ships concerned turning the otherwise ugly concrete walls into an art gallery.


By 9am I was heading off on the 15 minute walk into town and to my surprise I came across art at every turn.  From the children's mural on the outer walls of the port:




To the wonderful tile pictures in the market square depicting the history of Cape Verde.




Even the Fish Market boasted it's own artwork:

If I wasn't dead I'd bite your foot off!


I became absorbed with the colours of the buildings - even those that were dilapidated took on an artistic quality.




               The harbour side was a picture in itself with weathered boats resting on the sand.


                                             Father Neptune allowed me to take a selfie


                    Whereas this gentleman showed his utter despair at the state of my hair! 


After a long 7 day sea voyage Cape Verde was like a precious jewel in the ocean.  I shall long remember it's turqoise hues


                                                              and it's gentle people






No comments:

Post a Comment