Monday 21 March 2016

Malacca - and the yellow submarine

 

Malacca was a tender port i.e. where passengers are ferried ashore by either the ship's lifeboats or by local boats.   Nha Trang had been such a port and there we were berthed some 5 miles out.  No local boats were available (or perhaps P&O were not willing to pay enough to hire them) so four of Aurora's lifeboats were used.


Each carried approx 60 people and all the tour groups had to be ferried ashore before the independent passengers.  Having obtained my tender ticket (No 263) at 8.15 am it was two and a half hours before my number was called and I did not set foot in the city itself until 11.30.  I had virtually lost the will to live by that time so it is no surprise that the day was doomed.  All those who had experiened this unmitigated disaster prayed that today's tender operation would go a little smoother and a lot quicker.

Our arrival into Malacca was delayed by one hour but we were assured that tender tickets would start being issued at 8am as normal.  This time I was in the queue 10 minutes before the allotted hour - then at 7.55 one of the Purser's team appeared.  She said something to those at the front of the queue but those of us a little further back could not hear what was being said.  The Kiwi chap in front of me immediately went into anger mode and said that if they decided not to issue tickets until 9am then there would be hell to pay.  That lighted the spark - everyone around me went into anger mode.  I ended up having to act as peacemaker by making my way to the front of the queue ("what is that woman doing - is she trying to jump the queue?" scenario!) and enquiring what had actually been said.  Of course she had never mentioned 9am at all so I was able to return and quell the mounting riot. I am now known as the Peacemaker Lady!

But enough about moans and groans.  Today local boats HAD been provided and as these carried a few more people than Aurora's lifeboats I found myself ashore at 9.15.  This is the boat which ferried us into Malacca - it reminded us all of a yellow submarine!


The local tri-shaw riders were out in force and I was surrounded - "Show you the sights, Madam?". 

 

I had to be really insistent that I wanted to walk and thankfully they melted away as quickly as they had appeared - unlike in Cochin a few years ago where the pesty men ruined my whole day. 

For some reason our port information leaflet for this city did not come with a map so I really was left to follow my nose.  However, I love meandering through back streets taking photos so it really was no hardship.  My very favourite tropical shrub- frangipani was in full flower.

 
A fast food booth here


A water seller there


 
Really lovely friendly people

I soon found myself in China Town with incredible old buildings which oozed character




And tranquil waterways


But the temperature was up in the 30s, humidity at 96%, and I was burning up with fever and my head streaming with cold.  A place to sit and recover was required.  It was then that I fell upon a quiet, shady garden area. 

I sat and rested for a while and then noticed a sign at the end of the garden stating "public toilet" - great just what I needed.  To my surprise the Lady's was fitted out with European style pedestal loos - the Gods were smiling on me today.  As in HK one on the entrance walls was planted with bamboo.
On leaving I was stopped by a gentleman sitting at a table which had a sign "50c for toilet".  I am certain he had not been there when I entered!!  Well, this was my first stop of the day.  I had not as yet found anything that I wanted to buy so the smallest note in my purse was 50 Ringgit (about £8).  Oh dear this brought back memories of a similar situation which I had encountered in Shanghai in 2009.  At that time the little man guarding the loos was so exasperated that he let me in free of charge - but I did return later in the day and gave him ALL my loose change.  He was well pleased.  The gentleman in Malacca was not to be put off quite so easily - he virtually examined every note in my purse.  Oh dear, I do like to pay my way but what is one to do?  Another local gentleman came to my rescue and pulling out a wad of notes he changed my 50 Ringgit into much smaller notes and coins.  Loo fee paid! 

I had another hour wandering the streets but then the fever took it's toll and I was forced to return to the ship.  Here she is anchored in the bay (through the very dirty windows of the local boat).






No comments:

Post a Comment