Tuesday 15 March 2016

Au Revoir Hong Kong



As predicted Hong Kong was enveloped in a cloud of haze on the morning of Aurora's arrival.  But in HK everything is transitory and slowly the beautiful view emerged.  My morning was spent getting from the south of HK Island over to Kowloon side.  When I had left the College the previous morning, deep in thought about the day ahead, I had been shaken back to reality by the sound of many young voices bellowing "Good Morning Madam".  It turned out that a group of police cadets were gathering near the gate prior to some trip out.  Obviously trained to perfection they were not going to miss this opportunity to a) practice their English and b) show respect to an elderly European lady.  After one had shown the foresight others followed suit so for several seconds there was a whole string of "Good Morning Madam".  I smiled broadly and wished them a lovely day.    On the Sunday morning there was no such guard of honour - for which I was grateful as I was rather hot and bothered after dragging two suitcases down the 50 or so steps from Slevin House.  

Even though it was relatively early on a Sunday morning taxis were in abundance and one kindly driver took pity on me and responded to my frantic waving of hands.  "Tsim Sha Tsui please - Ocean Terminal for the cruise ship".  Tsim Sha Tsui was no problem, neither was Ocean Terminal - but the problem came with which part of Ocean Terminal.  The driver counted on his fingers about six different drop off points but as the names he gave were in Cantonese I did not understand one from the other.  He knew the English word for Ferry but I said "no" to this as I certainly did not want to find myself on one of the ferries to China!  He also knew the word "Hotel" but once again this was not want I wanted.  After a few seconds of thought I made the gesture that fisherman often use when describing the size of a fish they once caught - my hands outstretched from side to side I said "Big ship" - "Ahhhhh Biiiiig Shiiiip - no problem" and off we set. 

My arrival at Ocean Terminal was an hour earlier than need be but at least I was there and luggage handed in, so there was time for a coffee whilst I waited for other "would be" passengers to congregate.  Some arrived from hotels having spent a couple of days in HK, others came straight from the airport having just flown in from the UK.  Without exception they were from the Midlands - or perhaps it was only the ladies from the Midlands whom I could hear.  After a little while embarkation procedures were completed and we were ushered up to the Horizon Buffet Restaurant on Deck 12 where we could grab a bite of lunch whilst waiting for our cabins to be prepared.  The cabin which I had picked way back in September 2014 was A303 on Deck 11 - a small inside cabin with no windows but just 10 steps away from a door which leads onto one of the aft viewing/sunbathing decks.  The reason for this choice was that on mornings when we arrive into a new port I like to be up at the crack of dawn to take photographs.  So this cabin seemed ideally placed - I was not disappointed.

By the evening many of my fellow cruisers were out on deck waiting for HK's Light Spectacular to begin - a laser show which, given a warm clear night, can be spectacular.  At 7.30pm the skyscrapers on HK side of the harbour glowed bright and clear against the very black backdrop of The Peak





But by 8pm when the show began the clouds had once again come in and enveloped the tops of the tallest buildings.  So what should have been a riot of colour turned into a bit of a damp squid.  The photo actually reminds me of scenes from "The War of the Worlds" where huge machine like aliens shoot violent pulses down to earth destroying everything in their path. 




My last day in HK was spent, as always, in a frantic shopping spree.  Back on board by 2pm in time to complete HK Immigration procedures.  Then at 5pm it was Sailaway Time.  A small, but very powerful, tug charged up it's engines, the waters swirled around its rear, and then it began to pull us very slowly away from the berth.



A helicopter circled low overhead making everyone glance skyward



But the best sight of all was that of a Chinese junk with bright red sails gliding  across the harbour, wishing us well on our journey to Vietnam.




No comments:

Post a Comment