Monday 23 August 2010

Stormy Seas


Here I am back on board the wonderful ship m.v. Arcadia – the same ship on which I made those magical journeys last year. As I arrived at the Mayflower Terminal in Southampton I was again completely overawed by her size and was just as excited as I had been on that snowy morning back in January 2009. However, this time I had some idea of what to expect and was able to make directly for that “hole in the wall” where suitcases are so unceremoniously chucked in. Then it was off to check-in followed by the humilitation of that first meeting with the ship’s photographers! “Big Smile” please – so I grinned inanely and made a mental note to be one of the first at the photo gallery the next morning (in order to HIDE my photo from view).

My paperwork had told me to arrive at 2pm for boarding but as is normal for me I arrived very much earlier. My dear old Dad had always taught me to be early rather than late and it is something which has stayed with me all my life. My early arrival meant that I was able to go straight up to The Belvedere Restaurant (way up on top of the ship) and have some lunch. Oh how, I enjoyed those Chinese and Indian lunches last year. P & O chefs come from the Indian sub-continent and excel at their craft. I tucked in ravenously and was not disappointed.

After lunch I wandered down in search of my cabin which is tucked away at the aft of the ship on E (Egypt) Deck. I think I am going to be “as snug as a bug in a rug” in here. Desmond, the steward, popped in to introduce himself and I found that he is a very pleasant young man from Goa. I pity him having to work around all my clutter !

At 4pm it was time for Muster Stations Drill and 5pm saw our Champagne Sailaway Party round the Aquarius Pool on Deck 9. However, with the champagne being £3 a glass I (and many others) turned it into a “cup of tea” Sailaway Party !! Then it was off to get ready for dinner and to meet my table companions – which is always a trip into the unknown. I was joined at Table 140 by Trev, John, Geoffrey, Richard, Caroline and Cherry. All apart from Trev appear to be seasoned cruisers and they are already tempting me with wonderful tales of other voyages – “you just HAVE to experience sailing into Venice at dawn”. It is apparently another of those very magical experiences that is not to be missed. I will forever remember the feeling of sailing past the Opera House into Sydney Harbour with helicopters circling around our funnel, ferries hooting their greetings, and the fire boat leading us in with water spraying high into the air. This is one of the very special memories from 2009. I wonder when I can fit a cruise to Venice into my schedule !!!!

But what of this coming adventure. Where am I going? Oh have I not said! Well the author Tor Age Bringsvaerd described it thus: The way to the North has been regarded as a route that is hard to find, difficult to tread and fraught with unspeakable dangers.

As for me - well, I am just looking forward to meeting the husky dogs of the Arctic Circle - once we get through these VERY stormy seas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment