Friday 25 February 2011

February 2011 - HONG KONG


I had not realised how much I had missed Hong Kong until I returned on this trip which coincided with the Chinese New Year celebrations. As I stopped to watch martial arts troupes performing the Chinese Lion dance and saw the antics of the Lion as it strived to reach bunches of fruit and vegetables hung high in the air above its head I found I had tears streaming down my face. They were tears of happiness at being able see this wonderful spectacle again. In fact I found that I spent much of my first three days with tears dripping from eyes – the sight of The Peak rising majestically from the harbour at dusk just as the Symphony of Lights lit up the City with brilliant laser beams shooting from the tops of the highest buildings – the wonderful service from restaurants who considered it an honour that a single European Lady had decided to choose their restaurant over others. The emotions overwhelmed me.

I actually did very little sight seeing but spent the whole two weeks in my beloved Colonial Cemetery. Having recorded all the inscriptions some 20 years ago this trip was for taking photographs of the headstones. I achieved my goal of photographing graves in every section and have ended up with some 7,000 images – enough to keep me busy for the next 10 years as I enter them into my master database !!!!!

The weather was pleasantly warm for the first 2 days but then a cold front came down from China and it turned very cold and quite wet. But nothing could prevent me from enjoying my two weeks – not even the rib which I dislocated when trying to drag one of my suitcases from the carousel in the airport !!!! I managed to find an excellent Chinese Osteopath who put things right with one half hour treatment.

At the end of the 2 weeks P & Os Artemis glided through the harbour and berthed at Ocean Terminal. I boarded her the next day and sailed out at dusk as the sun set behind The Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment