Thursday 2 September 2010

Olden - a peaceful haven


The day dawned overcast, cold and wet which did not bode well as I was booked on an excursion which was to take in a boat trip on Lovatnet Lake to view Kjenndalen Glacier. Thank goodness when I had booked my excursions weeks ago I had not gone with my first instinct which was to join the trekking team for a walk on Briksdal Glacier.

Our small boat set off up the lake and our “Captain” informed us that there was a sun deck which could accommodate 10 people if any of us wanted to weather the storm outside. I found myself a seat at the rear of the boat but it was not long before I was up and about – peeping my head out to see if there were any photo opportunities. The clouds swirled around the mountains and the rain came down in torrents, however after 30 minutes I decided to brave the elements and go up to the “sun” deck. This entailed negotiating a 6 rung ladder fixed to the side of the cabin – but what the hell. I clambered up to find that there was just one other person up top. Despite the mist and rain the scenery was majestic. Oh to see it in winter when it would all be covered in snow – unfortunately, access is not possible later in the year as the roads are just not navigable. I might add that returning down the slippery runged ladder was even more interesting than trying to clamber up it!!

A coffee break was provided at Kjenndalstova and we were treated to delicious waffles which came with homemade jam and cream. My low fat diet was forgotten but boy did I enjoy – that must be the first time in 18 months that I have tasted cream. We then went off to view the Glacier which was shaped something like an octopus with arms of ice protruding out from a central circle. Portions of it were the most vivid turquoise - a little like those ice blue eyes of the husky dogs at The Wilderness Centre.

By the afternoon the rain had eased and I spent a couple of hours wandering around the tiny village of Olden. I discovered the pretty wooden church and the fragrance of pine filled the inside. At each end of the wooden pews were wooden carvings resembling the horns of reindeers. I bet this would be a wonderful place to hear midnight mass on Christmas Eve. I can almost hear the sleigh bells ringing.

After wandering for about a mile the sun came out for a few brief moments and I looked back to see Arcadia reflected in the clear cool waters of the fjord. Out came the camera and the result is the photo at the top of this Blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment